Educational Technology 2011

Welcome to my blog! The topics in the following blogs are related to current issues in educational technology.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wiki Experiment

I recently challenged my students to validate the reliability of Wikipedia in an experiment meant to teach about reliability and validity of sources. I gave them a printed copy of a wikipedia article that was unaltered and then the same article after I had changed it and challenged them to discover which article had the correct facts. My students spent a class period researching the information in small groups and collaborating on their findings. I was surprised at the short length of time it took for them to prove which article was correct and which was fake. All in all the experiment was successful and my students learned an important lesson of not believing everything that is in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment