Educational Technology 2011

Welcome to my blog! The topics in the following blogs are related to current issues in educational technology.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Speaker Reviews Brian Dixon and Julia Fallon

Recently I had the pleasure of listening to two innovative speakers discuss the value of social media. First Dr. Dixon, the author of The Innovative School Leaders Guide to Social Media discussed the types of social media not only available to our students but how they are using it on a daily basis. From reading his book and listening to him speak on the topic I gained a great deal of insight and learned bout new methods that I could include within my classroom instruction. The school community expects more from our schools and the social media outlets he discusses are valuable tools not only for student achievement but for communicating and keeping parents informed as well.
The second speaker, Julia Fallon spoke about the uses of twitter and how it may be incorporated in a school setting. As of now this type of social media is not allowed in many school settings. After personally using it for a period of 4 weeks I found it to have very little educational value as compared to other social media outlets. Twitter seems to have a lot of nonsense talk and little filtering of information. Not that I believe in censorship, but in an educational setting we are working toward guiding students to achieve. Twitter may have some value but as of now I would not use it in a school setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment